Friday, September 2, 2011

First post from Rome

September 2, 2011

After an initial scare, I was able to revive the blog and continue posting. The flight to Rome was rather long and uncomfortable so I did not get to sleep very much. However, reaching Rome brought about a sense of excitement and after a bus ride to campus, I was ready to dig in. The drive took us through some scenic countryside and eventually through city streets to the outskirts of town in a hilly neighborhood called Monte Mario. The first few days on campus have been full of orientation meetings and paperwork but I have found time for fun as well. Last night was an hour long walk to the Vatican where I walked around St. Peter's Square with some friends. Quite an amazing experience to be in the presence of so much history and to be in the same spot where millions have been before. After that, I walked across the Tiber River and settled in at a famous plaza that was teeming with activity. I ended the night with my first fist-pumping trip to a discoteca but got lost on the walk home and had to take a taxi (Italian drivers are nuts!). Tomorrow we will be checking out the Colosseum and the Roman Forum which will definitely be a highlight of the trip. So far, I am loving the experience but school is on the horizon. Hopefully the semester goes smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment